Centre Policies are developed to protect the children, families and staff at the centre. Taigum Child Care Centre seeks input into policy development from families, staff and management of the service. This may be done through newsletters, notice boards, parent meetings, parent committee, staff meetings, board meetings and training days.
Our ‘Mission Statement’ is to:
Provide a happy, safe and secure environment;
Support each child’s individual development;
Promote children’s sense of security and well-being;
Support and encourage the three-way partnership between parents, children and staff;
Strive to provide an environment that is a natural extension to each child’s home;
Strive to celebrate family culture and embrace diversity;
Seek information and inclusion of the broader community to assist us in providing optimal care to all children.
Continually elevate the value of nature play in the minds of children’s and families, through facilitating opportunities for children to discover the power of nature play first-hand.
Promote sustainability throughout the Centre using a holistic approach in all areas.
We strive to achieve this ‘Mission Statement’ by adopting and supporting the following Philosophy statements:
- We believe that a high level of communication as well as trust and respect are the keys to a three-way partnership, so daily discussions, written notes and child portfolios are vital for ensuring that the needs of all parties are constantly being met.
- We believe in an open-door policy that encourages parents to spend as much time as possible for initial orientation and throughout their child’s time with us.
- We believe that through transitions, routines, one to one and group interactions, providing cooked meals and a nappy service emphasizes our nurturing and caring role.
- We believe in nurturing each child’s individuality to allow them to gain an awareness and acceptance of themselves and others and to create their own sense of identity. We recognise that this helps to form secure, respectful and reciprocal relationships between children, families and educators.
- We believe in a holistic approach to children’s development. We recognise the connectedness of a child’s mind, body and spirit and see the relations between different learning areas.
- We believe that play is the best medium for learning; hence children are encouraged to explore their surroundings in an active learning environment. Children experience different activities through the implementation of a developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- We believe that play expands children’s development, thoughts and ideas. Through play, children create social groups, test out ideas, challenge each other’s thinking and build new understandings.
- We strive to provide a beautiful outdoor space with many natural elements; fresh air, water, dirt. We believe our outdoor space actively engages and supports children’s creativity, imagination, language and social skills. It also provides vast teaching and learning opportunities and where they will spend long unhurried periods of time outdoors. Our outdoor space promotes the health and wellbeing of our children and staff.
- We believe that children have a right to make their own choices. Our curriculum allows children to have choice in their daily life and allows their emerging skills to develop. Children are encouraged to self select activities based around individual interests and strengths. Educators support children in their choices and offer assistance to those who require. Individual curriculums support independence and an inclusive approach for the needs of all children.
- We believe in a balance between intentional teaching and freedom of choice. Intentional teaching strategies used by educators consist of modelling, demonstrating, open questioning, speculating, explaining, engaging in shared thinking and problem solving. Children’s learning is scaffolded through interactions with educators.
- We respect each child’s cultural background, religious beliefs and diverse needs. Educators work in partnerships with families to incorporate their family practices to ensure children have a sense of belonging, being and becoming.
- We believe that all cultures are to be respected and celebrated. We believe that children contribute to their world and therefore we aim to provide experiences and practices that encourage the children to explore the diversity of cultures, celebrate the indigenous culture of Australia and become involved in community groups. We recognise the differences and similarities of cultural groups and encourage children to explore and embrace diversity in order to become culturally competent.
- We believe that policies and procedures, which are continually revised, assist us to provide a safe and caring environment.
- We believe that professional and well-trained educators are essential and support educators in their endeavour to gain further qualifications and professional development
- We believe in encouraging healthy eating choices and physical activity through planned and spontaneous experiences and the provision of nutritious meals prepared by the Centre Cook.
- We recognise that both the management and the team of educators provide a supportive environment to guide one another in a professional environment, and create a climate where current practices are discussed and new ideas are generated. We work together as a team that allows each educator to realise their potential in a positive atmosphere. Educators support each other in decision making, curriculum setting and everyday practices.
- We strive to achieve optimum care for each child in our environment. We maintain regular contact with all governing bodies to constantly evolve our service and remain in the forefront of the childcare industry.
- We aim to develop positive relationships with local and community organisations, which will assist us in our own community awareness and development.
- We strive to achieve optimum care for each child in our environment. We maintain regular contact with all governing bodies and organisations to constantly evolve our service and remain in the forefront of the childcare industry.
- We aim to develop positive relationships with local and community organisations, which will assist us in our own community awareness and development. We strive to foster in all children an appreciation for the natural environment.
- We will implement sustainable practices throughout the Centre that aims to protect and enhance our natural environment for all. We strive to foster in all children an appreciation for the natural environment.
- We will implement sustainable practices throughout the Centre that aims to protect and enhance our natural environment for all. We believe that effective teamwork keeps the needs of our families, and specifically our children at the heart of Taigum Child Care Centre!
We believe that effective teamwork keeps the needs of our families, and specifically our children at the heart of Taigum Child Care Centre!